Join the Team: Seeking Design Associate
Centaur Interiors is seeking a Design Associate – Custom Residential Design/Build for our Chicago office. This person will be responsible for producing design and architectural services.
Job Title: Design Associate – Custom Residential Design/Build
Location: Chicago, IL
Job Type: Full Time
Centaur Interiors is a Chicago-based boutique firm specializing in full-service custom renovations and luxury residential interior design ranging from single-family homes to high-rise condos. With more than 100 years of collective experience, CI’s dynamic team is a diverse group of specialists dedicated to providing creative problem-solving, expert project execution, clear and honest communication, and first-class service at every level. We’re driven by a commitment to professional integrity, uncovering new possibilities, innovating in the fields of design and construction using the latest technology, and approaching the most challenging projects with positivity and enthusiasm.
We are seeking a Design Associate with 5-7 years’ experience, who is responsible for assisting in the design of high-end interior residential spaces. Surveying existing conditions and space, construction documentation in AutoCAD including specifications, assisting in FF&E sourcing, and creating presentation assets are the primary focus of this position. The Design Associate works in collaboration with Design and Project Management teams to ensure all drawings, schedules, and specifications are accurate and meet design codes and standards.
• Surveying and documentation of existing site conditions
• Assist in the creation and maintenance of Construction Drawing Sets:
o Preliminary drawing file set up in AutoCAD
o Create, detail, and modify Drawing Set & associated Schedules (FF&E)
o Create demolition plan, floor plans, reflected ceiling and electrical plans, elevations, sections an details
o Ensure Drawings and Schedules are coordinated across set
o Ensure Drawings are coordinated with actual site conditions and updated with site changes and updates from Project Management team.
o Utilize AutoCAD and 3D Software to create drawings, renderings, etc.
• Update Sharepoint and server files to communicate to Site Team and Vendors
• Communicate with vendors and subcontractors to obtain quotes, specifications,
• Manage placement of FF&E Orders with vendors and subcontractors
• Assist in client meetings
• Format client presentations in Adobe InDesign to communicate concepts, design intent and drawings
• Attend site meetings with Project Management team and or clients
• Source architectural materials/FF&E including stone, tile, wallcovering, paint, plumbing fixtures, door hardware, lighting, and appliances
• Manage timely responses to Project Management team RFIs
• Sourcing of decorative lighting, furnishings & fabrics
• Format client design presentations in Adobe InDesign
• Assist Sr Designer/Procurement Coordinator with preparation of client proposal packages in Studio Designer
• Manage vendors to obtain quotes, specifications, and samples
• Attend on-site furnishing installations
• Assist Sr Designer with design production schedules
• Source and seek new products and materials that represent our brand to keep our sources fresh and unique
• Participate in company improvement initiatives and contributes new ideas, technologies, or procedures to help our team and company grow and discover more efficient methods
• Potential to be the Lead on smaller scale projects
For a candidate to qualify for consideration of this position, CI is requiring the following skills, attributes, and abilities:
• 5-7 years experience at an interior design firm, architectural studio or industry showroom
• 4-yr college degree from accredited interior design or architecture program
• Understanding of the current design trends in:
o Lighting (recessed, surface mount, LED)
o Plumbing fixtures
o Wood Flooring
• Proficient in AutoCAD, Adobe Suite
• SketchUp or 3D modeling software preferred
• Studio Designer software preferred
• Ability to manage multiple projects and work in a collaborative team environment
• Excellent attention to detail with emphasis placed on quality
• A keen eye for the detail of specific tasks
• An analytical mind with problem-solving ability
• Good communication skills, both written and oral
• Interpersonal skills, including the ability to manage diverse personalities.
• Organized with a systematic approach to tasks, achieving accuracy and efficiency
• Friendly and out-going in social contacts, works well in a professional environment
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and shift focus rapidly from one priority to another based on client or office needs
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.