Job Title: Assistant Project Manager – Custom Residential Construction
Location: Chicago, IL
Job Type: Full Time
Centaur Interiors is a boutique firm specializing in turn-key bespoke solutions for residential interior renovation. We are committed to delivering innovation, precise execution, extraordinary design, and superior customer service to each client.
We are seeking an Assistant Project Manager (APM) for customized residential remodeling construction projects. The APM will be responsible for assisting the PM team with overall construction of interior projects assigned. The APM should possess the knowledge, experience and confidence to engage and professionally interact with the design professionals, consultants and client while helping in the directing of the Site Superintendent, field labor, and other construction related personnel in planning, coordinating and safely executing the work in accordance with the building rules & regulations, contract documents, schedule and budget. This individual will work closely with the Project Managers for projects and fulfill an integral role on the project. The APM must be professional, possess a desire to learn, be committed projects and the overall objectives of the office and self-development within the company.
The following is a list of the major responsibilities of the Assistant Project Manager:
- Assist in the preparation of the project schedule.*
- Assist in the review of the project plans and specifications and comment on the building design, scheduling, possible cost savings measures and potential construction problems.*
- Assist in creating the project budget.*
- Assist in assembling the job site office and equipment requirements.
- Have confidence in own ability to intelligently communicate with design team/client as well as effectively lead the trades.
- Expedite reviews all shop drawings and approvals.
- Assist in monitoring and maintaining the project construction schedule, budget, details via integrated construction management software.*
- Help to create agendas, attend job site meetings to review the status of the project and receive new information in order to proceed with work.
- Prepare & issue minutes of all site meetings
- Inform the PM of any errors, discrepancies or omissions contained within the Consultant’s design drawings.
- Assist in creating and executing project change orders; maintain current CO logs.*
- Create execute, and manage subcontractor agreements.*
- Monitor site safety and ensure that the requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act are enforced.
- Assist in issuing monthly progress draws and invoicing to consultants and clients including final holdbacks as required.*
- Track daily logs on projects.
- Assist with communications and management of scheduling with high-rise building managements
- Maintain and enforce good construction standards and quality control.*
- Help lead field labor team to efficiently complete work on site.
- Maintain control and responsibility for the security and operation of Centaur Interiors’ directly owned equipment on the job site in conjunction with site staff.
- Assist in the control and monitoring of labor, material and equipment expenses.
*Indicates items that will require additional training but will remain a goal for phase two of learning the Assistant Project Management Position. These will remain goals for the end of the first year of employment.
To be considered for this position you will possess the following skills, attributes, and abilities:
- 1-2+ year’s experience as a Assistant Project Manager (or similar support role) on custom residential construction projects.
- College/university degree or study concentration in a construction related field preferred.
- Must have understanding of construction terms, scheduling and planning concepts.
- Accurately read & comprehend plans, details, specifications, and apply to the project.
- Proficient in construction management software (Viewpoint).
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Project.
- Implementation of technology on site (Apple products, limited paper).
- Excellent organizational, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- A self-starting, highly motivated individual.
- Excellent attention to detail with emphasis placed on quality.
- Organized with a systematic approach to tasks to achieve accuracy and efficiency.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to manage diverse personalities.
- Multi-lingual individual a plus
- Quick, sharp, confident, assertive, ethical and ambitious.
- Analytical with the ability to examine issues from multiple viewpoints.
- Friendly and out-going in social contacts.
- Works easily with others.
“In an effort to protect our employees and customers and their families during these unusual times, proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment with Centaur Interiors. This means all individuals must be fully-vaccinated (i.e. two weeks after their second shot for a 2-dose vaccine such as Pfizer or Moderna, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine such as Johnson & Johnson) to be employed with Centaur Interiors. Of course, we are willing to consider requests for accommodation on an individualized basis. Any medical information will be kept confidential.”